Disclaimer: The below information is general advice in relation to your employment rights and entitlements, however the the best way to prevent your rights being exploited at work is to join a union.

If you would like further information you can contact the WCN and/or your Union.

Understanding Awards & Agreements 

Minimum conditions at work can come from registered agreements, awards or legislation.

When a business has a registered agreement in place and it covers the work that the employee does, then the minimum pay and conditions in the agreement will apply.

What is Better: An AWARD or an AGREEMENT?

Most union organised sites have a registered agreements that ‘trumps’ the award and gives workers covered under a union agreement significantly better wages and conditions than those covered under a non union agreement or are only covered by an award. This is why it is important to join your union.

If there’s no registered agreement that applies and an award covers the business and the work the employee does, then the minimum pay and conditions in the award will apply.

Where no award or agreement applies, the minimum pay and conditions in the legislation will apply (NES).

You can find out more via the Fair Work website.

Need Help with a workplace issue or just want peace of mind that someone has your back if something ever happened at work but don’t know what union covers you? Check out the WCN list of Vic Unions to find yours today.

Create a website or blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: